With RealPlayer you can listen to streaming music from internet radios around the world. Install Real Player from Canonical’s Commercial Repositories (6.06 LTS Dapper only). Add Canonical’s Commercial Repositories to your apt/etc/sources.list
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main
Once the repository has been added, select Add/Remove… from the Applications menu. To find RealPlayer more easily, type RealPlayer into the search box at the top. Check the box next to the search result and press OK. To uninstall RealPlayer, return to Add/Remove Applications, uncheck the box next to RealPlayer, then press OK.
RealPlayer is available from Canonical’s Commercial software repository for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper) only. To install RealPlayer on 6.10 (Edgy), use one of the methods below. The package in the Commercial repository is called realplay. Install RealPlayer for Linux from the RealNetworks web site
A. Go to RealPlayer for Linux and download the installer.
1) Open the terminal and navigate to the file “RealPlayer10Gold.bin”.
2) Verify that the file is executable. If it isn’t, type $ chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
3) Run the installer by typing $ sudo ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin and enter your password.
4) Follow the prompts provided to finish installation.
5) When you launch the player for the first time, a set-up assistant will take you through configuring your player. You can run the set-up assistant again at any time by choosing Reset RealPlayer from the Help menu.
Install RealPlayer (.deb) using dkpg
Download “realplayer_xxx_i386.deb” from Debian Multimedia. (Updated). You can install it manually by clicking directly on the package or from the command-line with;
$ sudo dpkg -i realplayer_xxx_i386.deb
To uninstall RealPlayer, type $ sudo dpkg -r realplayer
When you install RealPlayer in Ubuntu, it will install not only the player but also the Firefox plugins. There is a problem, though. Firefox is preconfigured to play real audio streams with totem. To use the real player plugin you must remove the totem plugin responsible to play these real audio streams. Just go to the Firefox plugins directory located on: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins and remove the following plugins; libtotem-complex-plugin.so and libtotem-complex-plugin.xpt Or on a terminal do:
sudo rm libtotem-complex-plugin.*
to take off the Totem plugins.
Happy listening with realplayer plugins for Firefox 2